Monday, July 19, 2010

Some thoughts on yesterday's action

I'm still coming down from the action yesterday. I was tied to the giant balloons (quite literally) for most of the action, so I wasn't able to participate in the march or when the 2,000 participants took the stage and made the point to all delegates, and to the world's media & decision makers, that AIDS activists will not lie down silently while governments cut or flat-fund budgets for AIDS programs.

So, since I was attached to the balloons, I was waiting for the march to come to where I was, at the end. Before everyone entered, you could hear a simple conversation in the room. When the crowd marched into the Atrium outside the Opening Ceremony, the room filled with so much noise, chanting, and singing that you could not hear anything else. I think people passing us on the subway must've heard us.

Everyone I talked to left feeling empowered and ready to keep up the fight throughout the rest of the conference. Which is good, because that's what it's going to take - sustained activism that pressures decision makers to keep their promises to fund AIDS.

So, on that note... Activist meetings are every day at 8:30am and 7pm in the Global Village USA/Canada networking zone. Come learn about and help plan actions for the rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment